Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Where do the birds come from?

Often, I'm asked how I got started painting birds. Honestly, I don't know for sure, but I have a hunch it began with my admiration of St. Francis. I was raised Catholic - as a child I attended Church and a little Catholic elementary school (St. Clare). It was there that I first learned of St. Francis- the saint who can be found in gardens throughout the world. I was drawn to him because he was a free spirit who renounced his upper-class life and set out to heal/help the sick/poor. I also thought it was pretty cool that he could talk to animals. When I had my first child, I named her after him and pronounced him the patron Saint of our family. Here's a drawing of him delivering his message to a crowd of birds.

I like to think that the birds of St. Francis find their way to my paintings to bless the work and to remind me of all that St. Francis preached.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive