Saturday, March 13, 2010

Color otaku

I just listened to Seth Godin's book, Purple Cow, while painting in the studio. He introduced me to a term I just love. It's a Japanese word that refers to people with obsessive interests - Otaku. A person can have a cooking otaku or a gardening otaku.

So, I started to wonder about what kind of otaku I am/have. I'd say I have a color otaku. It explains my giddiness at painting a room a great color, or my deep down satisfaction at finding the right color combinations in my own work, or my inability to hang a painting on a dingy white wall. I love the concept - it implies an engagement with life. And that's fun.
This book is one of my favorites and now I understand why (though I let someone borrow it and forget who that was). I guess it's time to buy a new copy because it always provides my otaku with a satisfying fix.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive